For your convenience, our most common customer questions are answered right here. Simply click the + sign next to the question to reveal the answer. Have another question not listed here? Click here to be directed to our contact us page and drop us a line!

  • Question: What is the due date for extended personal returns?

    Answer:  October 15th

  • Question: I sent my accountant an accountant’s copy of my QuickBooks file, can I still work in my file and make changes?

    Answer: Yes. You can make most changes to transactions as long as it is in the current period (after the dividing date).

          What you can do:

    • Create, edit, and delete transactions.
    • Add new entries to any of your lists.
    • Edit the information in a list entry.

         What you can’t do:

    • Edit or delete existing accounts.
    • Reconcile your accounts.
  • Question: How do I import my accountant’s changes?


         1) First, you must be in single-user mode to do this.

         2) Open the master company file.

         3) Go to the File menu, Accountant’s Copy, Client Activities

         4) Click Import Accountant’s Changes

         5) Locate the accountant’s changes file and click Open (The file will have a .QBY extension).

         6) Review the accountant’s proposed changes. To accept the changes click Import.

         7) Click OK to the messages about backing up your data and closing all windows.

         8) Complete the backup.

         9) Review the import results for warnings. (Optional: print a copy of the import results. You will not be able to go back after closing the window).

       10) Close the window.

  • Question: How do I create an accountant’s copy in QuickBooks?


         1) Go to the File menu, Accountant’s Copy, Client Activities.

         2) Click Create Accountant’s Copy.

         3) Enter a dividing date.

         4) Save the file (The file must have a .QBX extension).

         5) Send the .QBX file to your accountant.

  • Question: Can I pay with a credit card/over the phone?

    Yes. We accept all major credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.

  • Question: If my bank is requesting information for lending purposes, can I have them contact you directly?

    Answer: Yes, please complete the Consent to Disclose document provided in the links section of our web site and forward that to our offices.

  • Question: Is there an age limit on claiming my child as a dependent?

    Answer: To claim your child as your dependent, your child must meet the qualifying child test or the qualifying relative test.

    To meet the qualifying child test, your child must be younger than you and as of the end of the calendar year, either be younger than 19 years old or be a student and younger than 24 years old, or any age if permanently and totally disabled.

    There is no age limit on claiming your child as a dependent if the child meets the qualifying relative test.

    In addition to meeting the qualifying child or qualifying relative test, you may claim a dependency exemption for your child as long as all of the following tests are met:

    • Dependent taxpayer test
    • Citizen or resident test, and
    • Joint return test
  • Question: I retired last year, and started receiving social security payments. Do I have to pay taxes on my social security benefits?

    Answer: Social security benefits include monthly retirement, survivor and disability benefits. They do not include supplemental security income (SSI) payments, which are not taxable. The amount of social security benefits that must be included on your income tax return and used to calculate your income tax liability depends on the total amount of your income and benefits for the taxable year.

    To find out whether any of your benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for your filing status with the total of:

    • One-half of your benefits.
    • All of your other income, including tax-exempt interest.
    • The base amount for your filing status is:

    $25,000 if you are single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er),

    $25,000 if you are married filing separately and lived apart from your spouse for the entire year, $32,000 if you are married filing jointly, $0 if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year.

    If you are married and file a joint return, you and your spouse must combine your incomes and social security benefits when figuring the taxable portion of your benefits. Even if your spouse did not receive any benefits, you must add your spouse’s income to yours when figuring on a joint return if any of your benefits are taxable.

  • Question: How do I know if I have to file quarterly individual estimated tax payments?

    Answer:  You must make estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

    • You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year after subtracting your withholding and refundable credits.
    • You expect your withholding and refundable credits to be less than the smaller of:  90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or 100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.)
  • Question: How much is it going to cost me as a new employer?

    Answer: There’s a lot of tax rates that go into answering that. Please contact our office to schedule an appointment so we can answer all your questions.